A far-infrared sauna is a type of sauna that uses light to create heat. "Far" describes where the infrared waves fall on the light spectrum. A traditional sauna uses heat to warm the air, which in turns warms your body. An infrared sauna heats your body directly without warming the air around you.
- Relieve stress
- Increase blood circulation
- Increase oxygen supply
- Reduce chronic joint and muscle pain
- Relieve sport injuries
- Achieve greater state of relaxation
The appeal of saunas in general is that they cause reactions, such as vigorous sweating and increased heart rate, similar to those elicited by moderate exercise. An infrared sauna produces these results at lower temperatures than does a regular sauna, which makes it accessible to people who can't tolerate the heat of a conventional sauna.
Several studies have looked at using infrared saunas in the treatment of chronic health problems, such as high blood pressure, congestive heart failure and rheumatoid arthritis, and found some evidence of benefit. No adverse effects have been reported with infrared saunas. So if you're considering trying a sauna for relaxation, an infrared sauna might be a good option for you.
Far Infrared therapy increases blood circulation and oxygen supply to damaged tissues (aiding reduction of chronic joint and muscle pain or sport injuries), promotes relaxation and comfort, induces sleep and relieves stress.
German medical researchers concluded one session of far infrared therapy for over 1 hour can have significant reduction of blood pressure thanks to a persistent peripheral vessels dilation. They also noted that blood viscosity was improved. After 1 hour of far infrared radiance, there is a significant decrease of blood pressure - cardiac ejection resistance - total peripheral resistance - and significant increase of heart rate, stroke volume, cardiac output, and ejection fraction.
Recently there have been reports detailing the hazards of exposure to certain kinds of electromagnetic fields, such as those from high-tension power lines, cell phones, or from computer display terminals. Far Infrared heating systems have been tested in Japan and found free of toxic electromagnetic fields. The Swedish National Institute of Radiation Protection has also concluded that infrared heaters are not dangerous. Instead, Japanese researchers have reported that far infrared radiant heat antidotes the negative effects of toxic electromagnetic sources.
The Qi that a Qigong master releases is called external Qi whereas the Qi that circulates within the body is called internal Qi. When a person is sick, the flow of Qi internally can be interrupted and various organs might malfunction. If proper information can be delivered inside the body via other media, or if new information can be generated within the body through exercise by patients themselves (the Chi Machine), the organs that are out of order will resume their proper function and the patients are thus cured. This is how acupuncture, electric treatment, magnetic therapy, and far infrared ray (the FIR HotHouse), cure various illnesses and keep the body fit. - 'The Scientific Basis and Therapeutic Benefits of Far Infrared Ray Therapy', Dr. Kyuo.
The McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology reports medical practitioners make use of infrared radiant heat to treat sprains, strains, bursitis, peripheral vascular diseases, arthritis, and muscle pain.
Therapeutic Effects of Far Infrared Heat - Chapter 9 of Therapeutic Heat and Cold, Fourth Edition, Editors Justus F. Lehmann, M.D., Williams, and Wilkin. Infrared Heat Therapy does the following:
- Decreases joint stiffness.
- Relieves muscle spasms.
- Increases blood flow.
- Leads to pain relief.
- Affects soft tissue injury.
- Increases the extensibility of collagen tissue.
- Assists in resolution of inflammatory infiltrated, edema, and exudes.
When the normally smooth, firm lining of the arteries becomes thickened and roughened by deposits of fat, fibrin, calcium and cellular debris, it lessens the arteries ability to expand and contract, and slows the blood movement through narrowed channels. These conditions make it easier for blood clots to form, blocking the arteries and stopping blood flow completely. FIR is able to neutralize blood toxicity and smooth the walls of arteries, capillaries and veins.
C. Dunson, a Lymphologist in Utah reported that within 15 minutes of a client being treated with the HotHouse and lymphology therapy, their pneumonia was cleared. Infrared therapy in both Japan and China has proven to be outstanding for asthma, bronchitis, colds, flu, sinusitis and congestion as it clears inflammation, swelling and mucous clogged passages, as testified to in Dr. Kyuo's book below.
Dr. Sasaki Kyuo, M.D. has done extensive research on the therapeutic uses of far infrared therapy. She is the author of "The Scientific Basis and Therapeutic Benefits of Far Infrared Ray Therapy' - which presents the clinical effects of far infrared ray therapy.
Besides cancer, Dr. Kyuo reports continual successful treatments of many other diseases by use of FIR waves - treatments not only by her but also by many other doctors. The list of diseases - documented in her book - includes stress induced chronic diarrhea, abdominal distention, ulcerated large intestines, gastritis, facial numbness, hemorrhoids, shoulder, back, and knee pain, rheumatism, hypertension, diabetes, weight loss, breast and abdominal tumors, low blood pressure, asthma, anemia, burns and scalds, body odor, early onset of baldness, fracture of cervical vertebra, radiation exposure and related diseases.
Far Infrared Therapy:
- Improves micro circulation by exerting strong rotational and vibrational effects at molecular level.
- Enhances the delivery of oxygen and nutrients in the blood cell to the body's soft tissue areas.
- Promotes regeneration and fast healing.
- Increases metabolism between blood and tissue.
- Enhances white blood cell function, thereby increasing immune response and the elimination of foreign pathogens and cellular waste products.
- *Removes accumulated toxins by improving lymph circulation which are often at the core of many health problems.
- Stimulate the hypothalamus, which controls the production of neurochemicals involved in such biological processes as sleep, mood, pain sensations, and blood pressure.
A clinical trial in Japan reported a successful solution for seven out of seven cases of rheumatoid arthritis treated with whole-body far infrared therapy.
There have been numerous studies on the therapeutic effects of FIR products. One clinical study done by Dr. Gordon Ko and Dr. David Berbrayer at Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Science Centers at the University of Toronto, published in the August 2002 issue of Alternative Medicine Review "Journal of Clinical Therapeutics", showed that there are significant improvements in both subjective measures of pain and discomfort associated with Raynaud's Syndrome.
'Reversing The Aging Process' - an Enlightened Doctor's Discovery'. ©1999 by Dr. Fouad I. Ghaly, M.D. Studies suggest that far infrared light stimulates the production of cell tissue and rapidly promotes the regeneration of skin and blood tissue.
Common problems associated with lifestyle and aging, such as hypertension and osteoporosis, headaches and digestive problems, are attributed by some scientists to be the result of excess acidity in our system. The American Medical Journal found that in patients with bone loss, alkalizing their system caused a decrease in bone loss. Their conclusion was that our typical American diet is acid producing. The acids deposited in our blood are often stored by the body in forms of cholesterol, fatty acid, uric acid, and other villains that cause havoc in our system. Sang Whang, the author of "Reverse Aging" claims that these excess acids can be eliminated with the use of far infrared products, along with consuming certain alkaline minerals and foods. The far infrared resonance heats up the internal temperature of the body, increasing circulation, thus enabling the blood to melt out the acidic toxins that have been deposited for years in one's arteries. - www.takionic.com
Aging and Far Infrared Heat Therapy.
The following health challenges have been reported in Japan to be alleviated or reduced by the use of far infrared therapy:
- Asthma, bronchitis (cleared up).
- Rheumatoid arthritis (7 out of 10 cases resolved in one clinical trial).
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (reduced).
- Cancer pain (greatly relieved pain in later stages).
- Cirrhosis of the liver (reversed).
- Chrone's Disease (gone).
- Cold hand and feet (a physical therapist discovered 20-50% improvement was maintained).
- Cystitis (gone).
- Duodenal ulcers (eliminated).
- Compression fracture pain.
- Gastritis (relieved).
- Hemorrhoids (reduced).
- Hepatitis (gone).
- High blood pressure (in the case of a diabetic a systolic decrease from 180 to 125 +
- concurrent weight loss).
- Keloids (significantly softened and, in some cases, completely gone).
- Leg ulcers (healed when previously static and resistant to other care).
- Pain preventing sleep or limiting sleeping positions (relieved).
- Post-surgical adhesions (reduced).
- Radiation sickness (relieved signs and symptoms).
- Sequel of strokes (Herniparesis relieved over time).
Dr. Masao Nakamura of the O and P Medical Clinic in Japan reports success with the use of far infrared heat treatment for the following:
- Ear Diseases.
- Gastroenteric Problems.
- Shoulder Stiffness.
Musculo-skeletal Improvements with Far Infrared Heat.
Success has been reported from infrared treatments by Japanese researchers for the following musculo-skeletal conditions:
- Arthritis, Gout, Rheumatoid, DJD (each substantially relieved or improved).
- Adhesions (common in competitive athletes, trauma, and repetitive stress syndromes).
- TMJ Arthritis.
- Acel-Decel Injury Sequelae.
- Low-Back Pain (relieved).
- Bursitis (eliminated).
- Brain Contusion (accelerated healing).
- Disc-Protrusion Related Neuralgia.
- Compression Fractures (in one situation pain stopped for three days with one treatment).
- Muscle Tension (relaxed).
- Muscle Spasms (reduced or eliminated).
- Post-Exercise Muscle Pain (good results - vital to competitive athletes).
- Shoulder pain (relieved or improved).
- Spinal Chord Shock (reversed post traumatic shock).
- Tight Shoulders (more relaxed).
- Traumatic Arthritis.
Ear, Nose, and Throat Conditions Relieved with Far Infrared Heat.
The Japanese report the following ear, nose, and throat conditions relieved with far infrared heat treatments:
- Body Odor.
- Chronic middle-ear inflammation of infection.
- Clogged pores (unplugged of cosmetics, unexcelled skin texture and tone).
- Dandruff (increased blood flow through the scalp).
- Eczema and Psoriasis (respond well).
- Lacerations (healed quicker with less pain and scarring).
- Nettle rash.
- Nose bleeding (reduced).
- Skin Conditions (improved).
- Teenage skin problems (clearing acne and blackheads).
- Poor skin tone - Scars and pain from burns or wounds (decreased in severity and extent).
- Sore throats.
- Tinitus (chronic severe case cleared with 10 infrared treatments).
- Used routinely in burn units throughout Asia.